The Association of Real Estate Agents of Uganda (AREA-Uganda) is an umbrella body of real estate agents and managers, real estate professionals and other organizations with interest in the real estate sector. AREA-Uganda was formed to bring real estate agents/managers and others interested in the sector into one body to work collectively towards developing a professional Real Estate Sector in Uganda and creating awareness of its benefits as an engine for Economic growth.
In order to achieve this, AREA-Uganda has engaged in several trainings which include; Mortgage training, Property and Land Valuation training, Property Management Training, Green Building Training, House Financing Training, Real Estate Investment Training, Condominium law Training and instructors training at the East African Regional Real Estate Training Center (EARRETC) in Nairobi.
To promote these trainings further a M.O.U between the Association and Makerere University Business School (MUBS) was signed on realizing the need for Training Real Estate Business practitioners through various disciplines of the industry; say property Management, Brokerage business management, finance and investment Valuation Principles among others.
2.0 Real Estate Brokerage Training
Association of Real Estate Agents Uganda (AREA-UG) in collaboration with Makerere University Business School (MUBS) once again organized a one day training on Real Estate Brokerage and management skills which was held on 5th August, 2015. It commenced at 9:30am and was opened by Mr. Bernard Wabukala the Head 0f Department Finance MUBS.
52 participants managed to turn up for the training and they were facilitated by five highly qualified instructors (trainers): Mr. Kyeyune M Ssewajjwa, Mr David Kitulazzi, Mr. Innocent Mucuzezi, Mr. Kasumba Robert and Ms. Mirembe Racheal and the guest of honor was Permanent Secretary Ministry of Lands, Housing and Urban Development Representative, Mrs. Lucy Kabege who gave the closing remarks of the Event.
3.0 The topics handled during the training include;Condominium law, Developing Agent Skills, Creating Person agreements, Professionalism in Real Estate, Land titles, tenures and measurements, ICT in the Real Estate i.e. digital Real Estate marketing and multiple listing service.
4.0 Mode of Teaching
Sharing experiences by the trainers and participants
The participants interacted with the trainers, where the trainers went ahead to share their learning experiences and case studies they go through the field, also the participants managed to fill in the evaluation form to give us feedback on the course.
In the nut of shell, the training was a success because of highly qualified facilitators and their interactions with the participants.
The closing Remarks were made by Mrs. Lucy Kabege the Permanent Secretary Representative of the MLHUD.
5.0 Challenges faced when organizing the training
- The heavy rains in that morning made the event delay by one hour.
- Due to the ongoing staff strike at MUBS, it was difficult for the trainers to get a projector.
- Also because of the Strike, the certificates for the trainees were not signed by the Dean Faculty of Commerce MUBS thus the participants did not receive their certificates.
- Promoting professionalism in Real Estate Industry
- Developing Agent Skills in the field of Real Estate Brokerage Management
- Built strong confidence in participants especially when they equipped with personal agreements, closing deals and contracts content
- Created more awareness of the Bachelor of Real Estate Management Course.
- Understanding the land laws concerning Real Estate i.e. condominium law
- Having highly qualified facilitators who equipped the participants with relevant knowledgeable skills
- Net working
- Interactive presentations
- Relevant course Content